Southern Biscuits Supreme
Recipe type: Bread
When making biscuits remember not to over stir after adding the liquid.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450º
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. Using a fork cut in the butter (as if you are mashing the butter into the dry ingredients.)
- Add the buttermilk and stir lightly just until the ingredients form a soft ball.
- Place flour on the counter.
- Put the biscuit mixture on the flour and using your hands gently push the dough around and knead it for about 2 minutes, adding just enough flour to keep from sticking to your hands.
- Pat the dough until about ½ inch thick and cut with a 1½ inch cookie cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake.
One of my favorite foods is biscuits. Now don’t get me wrong, I like any type of bread but I would make homemade biscuits every day if my diet would allow it. Even though you have to heat the oven for this, a light fluffy Southern Style biscuit is good at any meal but especially at supper. A biscuit is a great side dish to any summer food and quick and easy when we have only a small amount of time we want to spend indoors.